Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Circle Dividing Template


Well, here it is, warts and all. I apologize for the poor quality photo, but I think you can get the idea. Place a metal disc, or a metal dome in the center of the template to find the center of the piece and to help layout designs.

The scrap aluminum turned out to be a little too soft, and even with light pressure, the scriber had a tendency to dig it. Also, I did not use a pair of sharp pointed dividers as recommended, using a plastic circle template instead. Why? Well, I've never been very good at using dividers as circle makers. Just plain klutzy. The circle template worked out pretty well, not perfect, but it will do the job.

The little square you see in one of the photos below, was purchased from Micro-Mark. (I have no affiliation with that company other than as a customer. They do have a few tools of interest to a hobby jewelry maker.) The square is very handy and could be worth a look, if you're into metal work.

I'm going to take a break from posting for awhile. I need to get some jewelry put together.

John

2 comments:

  1. John, I absolutely love this! Thanks for the terrific idea. I'm going to have to make one of my own and use it at my own bench. I may even have to put your name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, even if it wasn't your original idea, I wouldn't have responded how I did if I hadn't seen the photo of your finished product.

    I've had moments when I needed one of these, but I was always trying to find something printed - like in a book or on the web. One of my inner quarrels with that was line thickness. It simply never occurred to me to get out a sheet of metal and put my own tools to work!

    So, last night I pulled out my dividers and machinist's ruler and made one out of brass sheet. So thanks again for the inspiration, John!

    ReplyDelete