Sunday, September 4, 2011


Here is an anvil I picked up on Ebay made from an old railroad iron.  The top is 2 1/4 inches wide by 12 3/4 inches long, and is about 4 inches in height.  I haven't looked up info on railroad irons, but this seems like it was originally narrow gauge rather than standard.

Today was relatively nice, so I went to work on the anvil.  Whoever had it before me worked it over pretty good and as you can see it has a lot of dings.  Some pretty deep.  The top looked exactly like rusty bottom so there was quite of bit of work just to get the rust off.  There's still a long way to go and some of the dings are just going to have to stay, being so deep.  But, I think I can work around them.

I think the shape is pretty neat, and that's the main reason I bought it.

In between grinding away on the anvil, I decided to make a holder for some decorative metal stamps.  But, I didn't have time to finish the project.  I'll post a pic of that, ah well, sometime!

An oversight:  I should pay more attention.  I see there are new followers of the blog, so a belated welcome to you, and thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment