Monday, June 4, 2012

Still experimenting

It has been awhile since I posted anything.  I keep trying one thing or the other to color metal other than the traditional patinas and the more advanced methods of anodization. enameling, plating, etc.  Below is a new photo of the latest efforts in coloration.

Suminagashi


This is an adaptation of a very old method of adding ink to a water bath, then a dispersant, then ink and so on until the artist feels enough ink has been added, then either gently fans the mix, or gently stirs it to create patterns, then places paper on top of the bath and pulls it away.  The ink pattern is transferred to the paper.

I find that some inks work better than others and that I get different results from different inks.  Some inks which work well in certain colors and other colors of the same brand don't work at all.  At least concerning how I am using them.  Although I am fairly well satisfied with the results, I don't believe I've quite mastered the technique as yet.  More experimentation is in order.  A lot depends on how the ink is added to the water, how the piece is dipped into the mix, and so on.

Some ladies paint their fingernails with a similar method using different colors of  fingernail polish.  While some interesting patterns are formed, they are not what I want to achieve.  Scrap bookers and some bookmakers also use similar methods the results are again, not what I wish to achieve.  Part of my problem may very well be the small scale of the pieces.

It is said from some sources that acrylic paint will work in creating patterns.  No so.  It will depend on the brand, and not all acrylic paint is created equally.  I've tried three different brands and the results have been zilch.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this little effort, and I hope to be back soon with some different stuff to bend your ears.


2 comments:

  1. John, you have come up with some great colors! The designs capture the eye. I enjoy following your journey into color. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine. I gratified you like the coloring and the blog.

    ReplyDelete