Saturday, January 26, 2013

OLIO 7

When I remarked I was going to redesign the bench, I had forgotten how it was assembled after I got it.  An examination of the bench revealed a redesign would be impractical.  So, as a result, I have decided to wait for warmer weather and build a new bench favoring my own style of work.  Below is a stick drawing of the front view of the proposed bench, subject to change.




Here's a run down of what is currently intended:  Upper right are two drawers.  Already, I am making a change.  Yep, I'm a bit on the nutty side.  The larger drawer is for burs, buffs, sanding discs, drills, etc.  It will go on top, the smaller drawer, below that. That drawer holds nothing on a permanent basis.  It is extra spaces to put pieces of a project in progress, and maybe, some tools being used on the project.

Below the drawers, the two long, vertical openings, two pull-out racks, on which will placed pliers, cutters, snips, saws, hammers, and files that I use the most.

The drawers and pull-out racks are supported by drawer slides, heavy duty ones for the racks.  Maybe I should call them panels instead of racks.  The idea comes from examining the photos of John de Rosier's studio and bench. The man is a genius when it comes to organizing tools.  The little box at the bottom is only for support.  

The large horizontal opening to the left of the panels is in a state of flux.  I have not decided how to handle this area.  There will be some kind of catch tray, and a soldering tray.  Light duty butane torch soldering.  The big stuff is in the good old catch-all garage.

What goes on top of the bench is semi-set.  Lamp and flex-shaft stand are a certainty.  I probably will place two sets of drawers I got from Office Depot 3 years ago.  They'll take care  of other lesser used tools.

Sometime in the future, I will sell the bench now being used.






No comments:

Post a Comment