Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bench Pin

As promised a view of my bench pin.  The idea came from watching a Japanese artist on YouTube, so I can't take credit for it.  Gone, the ubiquitous "V"-slot, and the tapered portion of the standard bench pin.  I have it clamped to the old pin with a large C-clamp.  It may look unhandy but the clamp doesn't get in the way.  The pin needs a bit of refinement.  The sharp corners will have to go!  I did myself a mischief bending over to pick up dropped piece of metal and put a dent in the forehead.  A regulation  oowwie!  Anyway, the pin is made of 1/2 inch maple, 6 3/4 inch wide, 9 inches long.  Doesn't have to be those dimensions, I just happened to have some maple that wide and cut off a piece.  The slot is 1/8th inch wide and 5 inches long.


This design gives ever so much better support when sawing small pieces.


Once again, I have been  remiss in welcoming new followers, so hey, Thanks for becoming a follower!

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea for a bench pin, I'll remember that when I am sawing small things! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Valerie and welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm another old guy who likes to make jewelry as a hobby! In my YouTube travels I noticed two different Japanese artists who use a similar setup (TSL being one). Big advantage to piercing bracelets and longer word, which is sort of my interest right now. (It's sort of neat to be able to spin it on top of the pin, too!) I've been looking for the right steel clamps/bracket/whatever to hold the flat pin but ... well, turns out I'm making it way more complicated than it need be, yes? Love the idea of attaching it directly to the existing pin with a clamp. Hope all is well - Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Bob. Thanks. I'm still looking for the best way to hold it, but clamping to another bench pin woks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete